How to Make a Roast With Potatoes and Carrots
A roast with potatoes and carrots is a classic and hearty dish that is perfect for a comforting meal. The tender meat, roasted potatoes, and sweet carrots are a match made in culinary heaven. If you’re looking to impress your family and friends with a delicious roast, follow these simple steps.
– 3 pounds of beef roast (such as chuck or sirloin)
– 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
– 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
– 1 onion, sliced
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 teaspoons of dried thyme
– 2 teaspoons of dried rosemary
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Season the beef roast generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
3. In a large oven-safe skillet or roasting pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
4. Sear the roast on all sides until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. This step will help seal in the juices and create a flavorful crust.
5. Remove the roast from the skillet and set it aside on a plate.
6. In the same skillet, add the sliced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant and slightly softened.
7. Add the potatoes and carrots to the skillet, tossing them with the onions and garlic. Season with dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
8. Place the seared roast on top of the vegetables in the skillet or roasting pan.
9. Cover the skillet or roasting pan with a lid or aluminum foil.
10. Transfer the skillet or roasting pan to the preheated oven and roast for around 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily shredded with a fork.
11. Once the roast is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing.
12. Serve the roast with the roasted potatoes and carrots, and drizzle with the flavorful pan juices.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe?
Yes, you can use other cuts of beef like rump roast or bottom round, or even pork loin or chicken thighs if preferred.
2. Can I use fresh herbs instead of dried herbs?
Yes, fresh herbs can be used as well. Use about three times the amount of fresh herbs as the recipe calls for dried herbs.
3. Can I add other vegetables to the roast?
Absolutely! Feel free to add vegetables like parsnips, turnips, or even Brussels sprouts to the mix.
4. Can I prepare the roast ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the roast and vegetables a day in advance. Simply store them separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator and assemble before roasting.
5. Can I use baby potatoes instead of large potatoes?
Yes, baby potatoes work well too. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly, as they might cook faster.
6. How can I make the roast more flavorful?
You can marinate the roast overnight in a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and herbs before cooking.
7. Can I cook the roast in a slow cooker instead of the oven?
Yes, you can transfer the seared roast and vegetables to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
8. Can I use frozen carrots and potatoes?
Fresh vegetables are recommended for the best texture and flavor, but if you only have frozen ones, make sure to thaw them before using and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
9. How can I thicken the pan juices?
You can mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water and whisk it into the pan juices while simmering on the stovetop.
10. Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, ensure that the ingredients you use, such as soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, are gluten-free alternatives.
11. Can I use vegetable oil instead of olive oil?
Yes, vegetable oil or any other cooking oil can be used as a substitute.
12. Can I use fresh garlic instead of minced garlic?
Yes, you can use fresh garlic cloves. Mince them finely or crush them with a garlic press before adding them to the skillet.
Now that you have the recipe and answers to some common queries, you’re ready to make a delicious roast with potatoes and carrots. Enjoy the comforting flavors and aromas that will fill your kitchen as you prepare this hearty dish.