What to Do With Overripe Watermelon
What to Do With Overripe Watermelon: 12 Creative Ideas
Watermelon is a refreshing summer fruit that many people enjoy. However, sometimes you may find yourself with an overripe watermelon that is no longer enjoyable to eat as is. Instead of throwing it away, there are several creative ways to make use of an overripe watermelon. In this article, we will explore 12 ideas for what to do with overripe watermelon, along with some frequently asked questions about this versatile fruit.
1. Make Watermelon Juice: Overripe watermelons are perfect for making delicious and refreshing watermelon juice. Simply blend the watermelon flesh with a little bit of water and strain it to remove any seeds or pulp. Add a squeeze of lime or mint leaves for an extra burst of flavor.
2. Create Watermelon Popsicles: Beat the summer heat by turning your overripe watermelon into tasty popsicles. Puree the watermelon flesh and pour it into popsicle molds. Add small chunks of fruit or mint leaves for added texture and flavor.
3. Whip Up a Watermelon Smoothie: Blend the overripe watermelon with your favorite fruits and yogurt to create a refreshing and healthy smoothie. You can also add a spoonful of honey or a squeeze of lemon for added sweetness.
4. Make Watermelon Ice Cubes: Cut the overripe watermelon into small cubes and freeze them. Use these watermelon ice cubes to add a burst of flavor to your regular water or summer beverages.
5. Create Watermelon Salsa: Chop the overripe watermelon into small pieces and combine it with diced tomatoes, red onions, jalapeños, lime juice, and cilantro. This delicious watermelon salsa can be enjoyed with tortilla chips or as a topping for grilled fish or chicken.
6. Grill Watermelon: Slice the overripe watermelon into thick slices and grill them for a few minutes on each side. Grilled watermelon adds a smoky flavor to any salad or can be enjoyed on its own as a unique side dish.
7. Make Watermelon Sorbet: Puree the overripe watermelon and strain it to remove any seeds or pulp. Mix the watermelon puree with sugar syrup and freeze it in an ice cream maker for a refreshing watermelon sorbet.
8. Create Watermelon Face Mask: Blend the overripe watermelon with a tablespoon of honey and apply it to your face for a refreshing and hydrating face mask. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off for soft and glowing skin.
9. Make Watermelon Jam: Chop the overripe watermelon into small pieces and cook it with sugar, lemon juice, and pectin to create a delicious watermelon jam. Spread it on toast or use it as a topping for pancakes.
10. Feed it to Animals: If you have pets or farm animals, they will likely enjoy the overripe watermelon as a treat. Remove the rind and seeds, and chop the watermelon into small pieces before feeding it to them.
11. Compost it: If you have a compost pile, chop the overripe watermelon into smaller pieces and add it to the compost. Watermelon is rich in nutrients and will help nourish your soil.
12. Share with Neighbors: If you have more overripe watermelon than you can handle, consider sharing it with your neighbors or friends. They will appreciate the gesture, and you won’t have to worry about wasting the fruit.
FAQs about Overripe Watermelon:
1. Can you still eat an overripe watermelon?
Yes, an overripe watermelon can still be eaten, but it may not have the same texture or flavor as a perfectly ripe one.
2. How can you tell if a watermelon is overripe?
An overripe watermelon will have a dull appearance, soft spots, and may feel mushy when pressed.
3. Can you freeze overripe watermelon?
Yes, you can freeze overripe watermelon. Cut it into small cubes or puree it before freezing.
4. How long does watermelon last in the fridge?
A whole watermelon can last up to two weeks in the fridge, while cut watermelon should be consumed within three to four days.
5. Can you use overripe watermelon for cooking?
Absolutely! Overripe watermelon can be used in various recipes like juices, smoothies, salsas, jams, and sorbets.
6. Can you eat the watermelon rind?
While the watermelon rind is edible, it is often tough and not very flavorful. However, it can be pickled or used in creative recipes.
7. Can you use overripe watermelon for skincare?
Yes, watermelon can be used in homemade face masks or scrubs to hydrate and rejuvenate the skin.
8. How do you store watermelon to prevent it from becoming overripe?
Store whole watermelons at room temperature until they are cut. Once cut, store the remaining watermelon in the fridge to keep it fresh.
9. Can you use overripe watermelon seeds for planting?
Overripe watermelon seeds are not suitable for planting as they may not germinate properly.
10. Can you use overripe watermelon in cocktails?
Absolutely! Overripe watermelon can be muddled or blended to add a sweet and refreshing flavor to cocktails.
11. Can you use overripe watermelon in baking?
While watermelon is not commonly used in baking, you can experiment by adding small chunks to fruit bread or muffin recipes.
12. What are the health benefits of watermelon?
Watermelon is low in calories and high in vitamins A and C. It also contains antioxidants and is a hydrating fruit due to its high water content.
In conclusion, an overripe watermelon doesn’t have to go to waste. With these creative ideas, you can transform it into delicious juices, popsicles, smoothies, salsas, or even skincare products. Experiment with these suggestions and discover new ways to enjoy the flavors of this refreshing summer fruit.