The perfect family meal. This creamy lemon-garlic chicken pasta is sure to be loved by everyone, even the picky eaters. The fusilli pasta grabs every bit of sauce and seasoning making this simple dish very flavorful, but also healthy, with boneless skinless chicken breast and broccoli.
1 small yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
8 sprigs parsley
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 (6-oz.) boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 oz. fusilli
6 oz. broccoli florets
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Ingredients from your kitchen: Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, extra-virgin olive oil
Tools and equipment needed: Large saucepan, citrus reamer, large skillet
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce ingredients: Juice half of the lemon and cut the other half into wedges, thinly slice the onion, mince the garlic and finely chop the parsley leaves. Set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally to make 4 thin cutlets. Season the cutlets on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge the cutlets in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer to a plate.
- Boil the fusilli until al dente, about 11 minutes, adding the broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain well in a colander and drizzle with olive oil. While the pasta cooks, warm 2 Tbs. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, lower the heat to medium and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and 1/4 cup water to the pan and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth and cook until slightly reduced. Whisk in the cream and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add 1 Tbs. lemon juice, the Italian seasoning and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat in the sauce.
- Divide the pasta and broccoli between two bowls and top with the chicken and sauce. Serve with the lemon wedges passed alongside.