Looking for a lighter way to enjoy Taco Tuesday? Here is a clean and delicious way to enjoy authentic tasting tacos from home.
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 small bunch cilantro
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 lb. cod
8 small flour tortillas
1/2 cup Mexican crema
2 cups cabbage slaw
1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
1 cup long-grain rice
1 Tbs. unsalted butter
Ingredients from your kitchen: Extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt
Tools and equipment needed: Aluminum foil, baking sheet, large resealable plastic bag, citrus reamer, fine-mesh sieve, small saucepan
- Preheat an oven to 375°F and arrange the oven racks to the upper third and lower third positions. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Prepare the marinade ingredients: Juice the lime, mince the garlic, and finely chop the leaves and tender stems of the cilantro. Mince the chipotle, removing the seeds if desired, and reserve 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce.
- In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, chipotle, 1 tablespoon of the lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the cilantro, honey, cumin, 2 tsp. kosher salt and 3 tablespoons olive oil until combined. Pour the mixture into a large resealable plastic bag. Reserve the remaining lime juice and cilantro for the cilantro-lime rice. Cut the cod into 8 evenly sized pieces and place in the bag with the marinade. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- While the fish marinates, cook the rice: Place the rice in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear. Transfer the rice to a small saucepan and add the butter, 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring once, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and arrange on the prepared baking sheet; discard the marinade. Stack the tortillas on a large piece of foil and wrap tightly. Place the tortillas and fish in the oven and bake until the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the crema and reserved adobo sauce. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in 2 tablespoons of the remaining lime juice and 1/4 cup of the remaining cilantro.
- To assemble the tacos, place 1 piece of fish in each tortilla, drizzle with spicy crema, and top with cotija and cabbage. Serve with the cilantro lime rice alongside.