Have you ever wanted to bake an entire cake in 15 minutes? Well now you can with this red velvet mug cake. A quick an easy way to make a decadent dessert in a portion size that’s ideal for date night.
For the cake:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 medium egg
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. liquid red food coloring
For the frosting:
2 Tbs. cream cheese
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients from your kitchen: Table salt
Tools and equipment needed: 2 (15-oz.) mugs, fork, butter knife
- To make the cake, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, 1/8 tsp. table salt and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until the chocolate and butter are melted, about 1 minute, stirring the mixture halfway through microwaving. Whisk in the milk, egg, vinegar and food coloring until smooth.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 2 (15-oz.) microwave-safe mugs. Microwave on high until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, 2 to 3 minutes. Start testing the cakes for doneness after 2 minutes and continue to microwave in 30-second increments as needed.
- Let the cakes cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a clean bowl, use a fork to smash together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, a pinch of salt and the vanilla until thick and smooth. Add the milk and mix until creamy. Use a butter knife to spread the frosting evenly over the cakes.