Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
For the chicken:
1 tbsp jerk spice blend
1 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 bamboo skewers
For the sweet potato:
4 (6oz) sweet potato yams
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp brown sugar
For the salsa:
1 small red onion
1 small bunch cilantro
1 small jalapeño
Ingredients from your kitchen: Extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
Tools and equipment needed: Grill pan
1. Set the oven to 425. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and place in a mixing bowl. Add the jerk spice stirring until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours. Meanwhile, soak the skewers in water.
2. Cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes, place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10-12 min. In a mixing bowl combine the brown sugar with the cinnamon. Toss the sweet potatoes in the sugar mix until well coated and return to the oven for another 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. About 15 minutes before the chicken is done marinating, make the peach salsa: Pit and dice the peaches, finely dice the onion, finely chop the leaves and tender stems of the cilantro, seed and finely dice the jalapeño and juice the lime. In a bowl, combine the peaches, 1/3 cup onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, jalapeño and 1 Tbs. lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and skewer them evenly, 6 to 8 pieces per skewer.
5. Grill the chicken until lightly charred and the juices run clear when pierced with a paring knife, about 15 minutes, rotating the skewers frequently to avoid burning.
6. Serve skewer with sweet potatoes alongside and peach salsa on top.