Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
For the meatballs:
3 sprigs basil
3 cloves garlic
1 lb. ground lamb
1⁄2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 large egg
1⁄2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
For the marinara:
1 yellow onion
2 cloves garlic
1 sprig basil
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 lb. spaghetti
Ingredients from your kitchen: Extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper
Tools and equipment needed: Large stockpot, large saucepan, large oven-safe skillet
1. Preheat an oven to 375°F. To make the meatballs, chop the basil leaves and mince the garlic. Place them in a large bowl along with the lamb, ricotta, egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Mix until well combined.
2. Shape the lamb mixture into evenly sized meatballs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Set aside. Bring a stockpot of salted water to a boil.
3. To make the marinara, dice the onion, mince the garlic and thinly slice the basil. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm 2 Tbs. olive oil. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in the basil, tomatoes and Italian seasoning, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
4. While the marinara simmers, cook the meatballs: Warm 2 Tbs. olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes
5. While the meatballs cook, boil the spaghetti until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
6. Portion the spaghetti into individual bowls and ladle the marinara sauce on top. Top with meatballs.