Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes
For the cake:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 medium egg
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. liquid red food coloring
For the frosting:
2 Tbs. cream cheese
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients from your kitchen: Table salt
Tools and equipment needed: 2 (15-oz.) mugs, fork, butter knife
1. To make the cake, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, 1/8 tsp. table salt and brown sugar. Set aside.
2. Place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until the chocolate and butter are melted, about 1 minute, stirring the mixture halfway through microwaving. Whisk in the milk, egg, vinegar and food coloring until smooth.
3. Fold the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly between 2 (15-oz.) microwave-safe mugs. Microwave on high until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, 2 to 3 minutes. Start testing the cakes for doneness after 2 minutes and continue to microwave in 30-second increments as needed.
5. Let the cakes cool for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make the frosting: In a clean bowl, use a fork to smash together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, a pinch of salt and the vanilla until thick and smooth. Add the milk and mix until creamy. Use a butter knife to spread the frosting evenly over the cakes.