Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the cake:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tbs baking soda
1/4 tbs salt
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
4 tbs butter
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Hellman’s Real® mayonnaise
2 medium eggs
2 tsp vinegar
1 tbs red food color (gel preferable to liquid)
For the frosting:
8 oz package of cream cheese
¼ cup butter
16 oz confectioners’ sugar
4 tsp milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. To make the cake, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Mix in the brown and white sugar.
3. Place the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until the chocolate and butter are melted, about 1 minute, stirring the mixture halfway through microwaving, or melt on the stove over Bain Marie.
4. Add the milk to the melted chocolate.
5. Whisk to combine the mayonnaise and eggs, then add it to the melted chocolate.
6. Add in the food coloring to the wet mixture.
7. Fold the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture until combined.
8. Divide the batter evenly into the wells of a lined cupcake pan. Bake for 20 minutes in a 350-degree oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
9. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting: In a clean bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, a pinch of salt and the vanilla until thick and smooth. Add the milk and mix until creamy. Use a butter knife to spread the frosting evenly over the cakes.